Hebrews Chapter 13 Continued
Hebrews 13:6 “So that we may boldly say, The Lord [is] my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.”
“Boldly”: This word has the idea of being bold and courageous (quoted from Psalm 118:6).
Psalms 27:1-3 “(A [Psalm] of David.) The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD [is] the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” “When the wicked, [even] mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.” “Though a host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this [will] I [be] confident.”
We are told over and over in the Scriptures not to fear. The only fear, that we should have, is of God. Fear is the opposite of faith. The next two Scriptures tell us just how much protection there is for those who truly follow God.
Leviticus 26:8 ” And five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword.”
In this next Scripture, we see clearly the divine protection.
Psalms 91:7 “A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; [but] it shall not come nigh thee.” God is our strength and our refuge. He is our very present help when we are in trouble.
Hebrews 13:7 “Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of [their] conversation.”
In addition to the roll of the faithful (in chapter 11), the writer reminds the Hebrews of their own faithful leaders within the church. In so doing, he outlines the duties of pastors:
(2) Speak the Word of God; and
(3) Establish the pattern of faith for the people to follow (Acts 20:28; 1 Tim. 3:1-7; Titus 5:9).
Each of us have someone who led us to the Lord. We should always highly regard that person. The fact that they cared enough about you to take the time and effort it takes to win you to the Lord should make you regard them highly. We must not worship them however. God is the only one to be worshipped.
1 Corinthians 1:21 “For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.”
We see in the following verses Paul writing to some of the people who received Christ under his preaching. Any minister, who leads a person to Christ, feels they are responsible to continue leading them. The job of a pastor is to teach his or her people how to live after they are saved.
1 Corinthians 4:14-17 “I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn [you].” “For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet [have ye] not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.” “Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.” “For this cause have I sent unto you Timothy, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.”
Paul is not saying (in verse 16); worship him, he is saying follow my example. This next verse says it perfectly.
1 Corinthians 11:1 “Be ye followers of me, even as I also [am] of Christ.”
Everyone has some one that is their (hero in the Lord). This is someone you go to for advice when you are stumped yourself. The ultimate Hero, of course is Jesus Christ. I have been speaking of earthly help here. One more word on this and we will go on.
1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 “And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labor among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;” “And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. [And] be at peace among yourselves.”
Hebrews 13:8 “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever.”
He never changes. He is Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. Through God’s foreknowledge, every single detail of this life was set at the foundation of the world. It will not change, because God cannot lie.
Malachi 3:6 “For I [am] the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.”
Revelation 1:17-18 “And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:” “I [am] he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.”
Hebrews 13:9 “Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For [it is] a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.”
“Divers and strange doctrines”: These would include any teaching contrary to God’s Word. The New Testament contains countless warnings against false teaching and false teachers (Acts 20:29-30; Rom. 16:17; 2 Cor. 10:4-5; Gal. 1:6-9; Eph. 4:14; 2 Tim. 3:16).
“Established with grace”: Those who are experiencing God’s grace in Christ have hearts and minds that remain stable.
“Meats”: The Mosaic law had regulations for everything, including food (Lev. 11). But for Christians, those laws have been abrogated (Acts 10:9-16; 1 Cor. 8:8; Rom. 14:17; 1 Tim. 4:1-5).
There has never been a time in church history when there has been more false doctrine offered to the sheep. One of the most vivid warnings of this false doctrine being taught in the end times is in the Lord’s own Words in the next Scriptures.
Matthew 24:22-27 “And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened.” “Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here [is] Christ, or there; believe [it] not.” “For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if [it were] possible, they shall deceive the very elect.” “Behold, I have told you before.” “Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, [he is] in the secret chambers; believe [it] not.” “For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.”
One of the most popular things right now is regarding animals too highly. All of a sudden people say it is wrong to wear a coat made of animal skin. That is so strange, because one of the first specific uses of an animal in the Bible is when God killed an animal and made clothes for Adam and Eve to wear.
Another thing that bothers me is the teaching that we should not eat meat.
1 Timothy 4:1-3 “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;” “Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;” “Forbidding to marry, [and commanding] to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.”
Some say meats above is speaking of food, but the word translated means the flesh of an animal. Also, look at the word creature in the next verse.
1 Timothy 4:4 “For every creature of God [is] good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:”
If you want to hear it in Jesus’ own words, here is where he raised the girl from (supposed death), and Jesus told them to feed her some meat, also translated animal flesh.
Luke 8:55 “And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway: and he commanded to give her meat.”
God put animals on the earth for the use of man. These things we have talked about here, not using these animals for the purpose that God intended them, borders on animal worship. I gave just one or two examples here of some of the things I believe to be in error, there are many more. I believe the best advice of all, is in this next Scripture.
1 John 4:1 “Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.”
False doctrines border on the truth. They usually are so close to the truth that you will not realize they are in error unless you really know thoroughly the Word of God. Study to show yourself approved of God a workman that needeth not to be ashamed. The more you study the Bible the harder it will be to fool you.
Hebrews Chapter 13 Continued Questions
- The Lord is my helper and I will not fear ____ ___ _____ __ ____ __.
- The Lord is my _____ and my __________ whom shall I fear?
- What happened to the enemies who came to eat his flesh?
- What is the only fear that the Christian is to have?
- Five can chase a hundred and how many can a hundred put to flight?
- A thousand shall fall at thy side and ten thousand at they right hand, but it shall ____ ____ _____ ____ ___.
- Who has rule over you in verse 7?
- The world by wisdom ____ ___ ___.
- It pleased God by the ___________ of __________ to save them that believe.
- What is the job of a pastor after someone is saved?
- What does Paul call these Christians in 1 Corinthians 4:14?
- What does Paul say the one who leads you to Christ is to you?
- When Paul says to be followers of him, what is he saying?
- Who is our ultimate Hero?
- Why are you to esteem those over you in the Lord very highly?
- Jesus Christ the same __________, and _____ and _______.
- What are some of the names Jesus called Himself that show His eternity?
- What Scripture in Revelation leaves no doubt this eternal one is Jesus?
- We are warned not to be carried about with ______ and _______ doctrines.
- How should our heart be established?
- In Matthew 24:24 we see that if the end days are not shortened what would happen?
- Why are the days shortened?
- Why will people believe these false christs and false prophets?
- If they tell you to go to some specific location and you will find Christ, what should your answer be?
- How will we know for sure that it is Christ when He comes?
- Name 2 of the specific false doctrines being taught saying they are humanitarian?
- Give the Scriptures that are specific in denouncing these doctrines.
- What does the author believe this borders on?
- What one word in 1 Timothy 4:4 lets you know for sure that the meat is animal flesh?
- When Jesus raised the girl and the spirit came back in her, what did he tell the parents to feed her?
- What is the best advice given to us on how to know if something or someone is of God or not?